Museum exhibit /Panorama of the town of Iurga. 1950s. Photograph.
Panoramic photograph of the town ity of Iurga in Kemerovo oblast’, dated “the 1950s”. In the foreground there is an area of vacant land, partly developed as kitchen gardens. It is possible that this was the location of camp barracks that were destroyed at the end of the 1940s. The POW Camp in Iurga, one of the divisions of Camp No.526, was set up for the construction of Plant No.75 of the People’s Commissariat For Armaments in late 1944 – early 1945. It held about 2,000 persons. The POWs also worked on the construction of living-quarters for the settlement. The photograph was kept in an archive of documentary photographs in the museum of the Iurga Machine-building Plant. It was given to the Iurga Municipal Local History Museum in 2002. 
 
 
 
 
Creator of collectionMuseum of the Iurga Machine-building Plant.
 
Date of acquisition2002
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Date and place of creation1950s, Iurga
 
MaterialsPhotographic paper
 
Description of exhibitA black-and-white panorama of the settlement. In the foreground is a large plot of undeveloped land, partly used as kitchen gardens. In the background there are mostly single-storey blocks.
 
State of preservationUndamaged.
 
Detailed annotationA panoramic photograph of the workers’ settlement (after 1949 – town) of Iurga . Before being given to the Iurga Municipal Local History Museum (2002) the photo it was kept in an archive of documentary photographs belonging to the museum of the Iurga Machine-building Plant. The photograph is dated “the 1950s”, but one can suppose that it was taken in 1948, at the same time as a photograph headed “Panorama of the Settlement after the liquidation of the POW Camp”. In addition, it is quite likely that a series of photographs were taken in 1948 to create a panorama of the settlement, of which only four pictures survived. However, we cannot exclude the possibility that on the first photograph the date provided is wrong, and the inscription on it “1948” should be treated not as the date when the picture was taken, but as the date when the POW Camp was liquidated. In the foreground of this photograph is a stretch of waste land, partly developed as kitchen-gardens. It is possible that the camp barracks were located on this land. The POW Camp in Iurga – one of the divisions of Camp No.526 – was set up for the construction of Plant No.75 of the People’s Commissariat for Armaments in late 1944 – early 1945. It held about 2,000 persons. The POWs also worked on the construction of housing in the settlement.A panoramic photograph of the workers’ settlement (after 1949 – town) of Iurga . Before being given to the Iurga Municipal Local History Museum (2002) the photo it was kept in an archive of documentary photographs belonging to the museum of the Iurga Machine-building Plant. The photograph is dated “the 1950s”, but one can suppose that it was taken in 1948, at the same time as a photograph headed “Panorama of the Settlement after the liquidation of the POW Camp”. In addition, it is quite likely that a series of photographs were taken in 1948 to create a panorama of the settlement, of which only four pictures survived. However, we cannot exclude the possibility that on the first photograph the date provided is wrong, and the inscription on it “1948” should be treated not as the date when the picture was taken, but as the date when the POW Camp was liquidated. In the foreground of this photograph is a stretch of waste land, partly developed as kitchen-gardens. It is possible that the camp barracks were located on this land. The POW Camp in Iurga – one of the divisions of Camp No.526 – was set up for the construction of Plant No.75 of the People’s Commissariat for Armaments in late 1944 – early 1945. It held about 2,000 persons. The POWs also worked on the construction of housing in the settlement.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Panorama of the town of Iurga. 1950s. Photograph.