Museums /Segezha Municipal Museum Centre
The Municipal Institution “Segezha Town Museum Centre” was founded in 1999 on the basis of a local history museum. The first permanent exhibition on the Gulag in Karelia, entitled “Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“The Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”], opened in 2003. The items and documents featuring in the exhibition were collected during designated exhibitions in 2003. The main section of the display consists to a large part of material on the history of the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill, which was built by prisoners of the Belomor-Baltic Sea Canal Camp and the Segezha Corrective Labour Camp between 1935-1939. Two exhibitions of the Museum, “Doroga na prokhodnuiu” [“The Path to the Clocking-on Room”] (2004-2008) and "Kol’tsa rosta” [“Growth Rings”] (opened in 2009) are dedicated to the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill [TsBK]. The systematic collection of material on the history of the Gulag began in 2006 (material on the history of the camps in the Segezha region and on the biography of former prisoners). Some of the documents were donated to the Museum by the Hall of Battle and Labour Glory of the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill [TsBK] in 1985. The Museum developed a local history module for secondary schools, “Segezhlag – ostrov arkhipelaga Gulag. 1930 – 1950e” [“The SegezhLag – an Island of the Gulag Archipelago. The 1930s-1950s”]. Each year, Museum employees take part in the International Memorial Day for the Victims of the Great Terror in Sandormokh, taking a group of school pupils to the Memorial Cemetery at Sandormokh, the site where many prisoners of the BelBaltLag were shot. (Information from February 2010). 
 
 
 
 
NameSegezha Municipal Museum Centre
 
Location
 
Address186420, Respublika Karelia, g. Segezha, ul. Mira 16
 
Status of museumMuseums//
 
SpecialisationMuseums//
 
Official contact detailsDirector: Galina Petrovna Zmeeva, Tel. (7-81431) 43053. Staff member responsible for the topic: Raisa Ignat'evna Iakovleva Information on the Museum: http://www.museums.karelia.ru/museum/15_common.shtml
 
Description of museumThe theme of the Gulag in Karelia is represented in the permanent exhibition of the Museum Centre, entitled “Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“The Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”], which opened in 2003. The exhibition combines two events that took place at different times and have different historical significance. The first is the building of the Petrovskaia Osudareva road by forced peasant labour; the second the construction of the White Sea Canal by Soviet prisoners. The exhibition hall takes up 90 sq. metres and is shaped like a boat. The exhibition makes extensive use of materials gathered from the landscape: boulders eroded by the canal water, moss, small marsh pines, reconstructed brushwood roads, roadside mounds of stones (secret stone constructions), wheelbarrows, and also original objects- work tools, building materials, metal grilles. In 2004-2008 there was a permanent exhibition on the history of the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill [TsBK], entitled “Doroga na prokhodnuiu” [“The Path to the Clocking-on Room”]. The TsBK was built by prisoners of the White Sea – Baltic Sea Canal Camp (BelBaltLag) and the Segezha Corrective Labour Camp between 1935-1939. The prisoners built the plant and then worked in its sections building factories, dirt roads, railways and housing in Segezha, including the so-called “sotsgorod” (“sotsialisticheskii gorod – the socialist town”). The exhibition displays information on the activities of the plant – work on the shopfloors as well as factory paper work (orders and documents). The main emphasis was made on the plant’s work during the war. The exhibition featured articles produced at the plant: mortar shovels, cellulose casings for aircraft bombs, tents and bedding made from craft paper for partisan brigades. The theme of the Gulag was represented sketchily, through copies of NKVD and GKO orders and decrees and photographs of the construction process. Many of the items exhibited were models and samples of articles produced at the plant in various years. The systematic collection of material on the history of the Gulag began in 2006 (material on the history of the camps for ‘family members of traitors to the Fatherland’ in the Segezha region at the end of the 1930s and on the biography of former prisoners). The objects and documents currently on show were collected during special preparatory expeditions in 2003: Museum employees undertook trips to the tenth lock of the BBK (White Sea Baltic Canal), and the Petrovskii Iam. The Museum’s archive holds correspondence with former prisoners of the BelBaltLag and their relatives from the end of the 1980s. Some of the documents were donated to the Museum by the Hall of Battle and Labour Glory of the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill [TsBK] in 1985, including six unique photo albums – the “Kontrol’nye al’bomy fotoregistratsii Segezhstroia” [“Photographic Inspection Albums of the SegezhStroi”]. Between November 2007 and February 2008 the travelling exhibition “Istoriia odnogo rasstrela” [“History of an Execution”], prepared by the Research and Information Centre ‘Memorial’ (St Petersburg) was on show in the Museum Centre . The exhibition details the history of the execution of the ‘Solovetskii etap’ (a group of prisoners being transported from the Camp on the Solvetskii Islands) and the creation of the memorial cemetery at Sandormokh where they were shot and buried. For 2010, there are plans to show this exhibition in the schools of the municipal region of Segezha. In July 2009, the temporary anniversary exhibition “Kol’tsa rosta” [“Growth Rings”] opened; it is dedicated to the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill. The exhibition also features material on the history of the Segezha Corrective Labour Camp [ITL], including the Kontrol’nyi al’bom fotoregistratsii Segezhstroia No 1” [“Photographic Inspection Album of the SegezhStroi No 1”], the order to set up the Segezha ITL, a layout of the camp sections of the 4th Segezha camp division of the Belomorkanal [White Sea-Baltic Sea] of the NKVD et al. Each year since August 2007, Museum employees have been taking part in the International Memorial Day for the Victims of the Great Terror in Sandormokh (Medvezh’egorsk Region, Republic of Karelia). On this day, the employees take a group of relatives of the victims and school pupils to the Memorial Cemetery at Sandormokh. The Museum works with students of the town’s schools and acts as a consultant for local television channels. The Museum developed the history module “Segezhlag – ostrov arkhipelaga Gulag. 1930 – 1950e” [“The SegezhLag – an Island of the Gulag Archipelago. The 1930s-1950s”] and secured its inclusion into the school syllabus on local history. It includes electronic presentations and also excursions to the memorial cemetery Sandormokh near Medvezhegorsk. A new section, called “Gorodskoi fotoal’bom” [“The Town’s Photo Album”], is envisaged to be added to the main display in the near future. It will contain all information the Museum holds about the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill [TsBK].
 
Opening timesFixed opening times.
 
How did the "Gulag" subject appear in the collection In 2003 the Museum organised several search expeditions and opened the first exhibition on the theme of the Gulag, entitled “Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“The Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”].
 
Related activities on the subjectEvery year the Museum hosts the local history conference “Semeinyi arkhiv” [“Family Archive”], where students present their research. The itinerary of the excursion through town and environs for schoolchildren includes information about the activities of the Segezha Camp and the part of the White Sea – Baltic Sea Canal that are situated within the Segezha Region. During the academic year the Museum runs educational programmes which include lessons on three relevant topics “Stroitel’stvo Segezhskogo lesobumkhimkombinata i rabochego poselka Segezha” [The Building of the Segezha Wood, Paper and Chemical Plant and the Worker’s Settlement Segezha”]; Segezhlag – ostrov arkhipelaga Gulag. 1930 – 1950e” [“The SegezhLag – an Island of the Gulag Archipelago.”] and “Mesto rasstrela – Sandormokh” [“The Execution Site of Sandormokh”]. During May 2003, Museum employees undertook several trips to Lock No 10 of the White Sea – Baltic Sea Canal. At this time the lock was under repair and the water had been drained, so that it was possible to recover a number of items linked to the construction of the Canal from its bed. On 17-26 August 2003 the expedition “Osudareva doroga – 2003” [“The Osudareva Road in 2003”] took place, organised and financed by a grant given to the Karelian Republican Non-Governmental Organisation (KROO) “The Osudarev Road” by the “Open Society Institute/ Soros Foundation” (for the project “Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“The Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”]). The research was carried out on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Osudareva Road, Petrozavodsk and St Petersburg. The authors of the project, M. Dankov and S. Nikulin, are current members of the Russian Geographical Society at the Russian Academy of Sciences and the leaders of the KROO “Osudareva Raod” (Petrozavodsk). The expedition explored the left and right banks of the Vyg river close to the Petrovskii Iam heath (Segezha Region, Karelian Republic). Each year on the Memorial Day for the Victims of the Great Terror (5 August), Museum employees organise a trip to the Memorial Cemetery at Sandormokh together with relatives of the victims and school pupils.
 
Years during which the museum worked on the subject Systematic work on the theme of the Gulag began in 2003 and continues today.
 
Beginning (year)2003
 
Acquisition and description of subject-related collections The items and documents that can be seen on display today were collected during designated expeditions in 2003 that took place in preparation of the exhibition (as part of the project “Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“The Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”]). During May 2003 Museum employees undertook several trips to Lock No 10 of the White Sea – Baltic Sea Canal, which was under repair at the time. As the water had been drained to for the repair (when the Canal was opened the water level rose to 6 m), it was possible to recover a number of items linked to the construction of the Canal from its bed (part of the grillage, a wheel from a wheelbarrow, a sledgehammer, a crowbar, a drill, a cement fragment with fittings). On 17-26 August 2003 the expedition “Osudareva doroga – 2003” [“The Osudareva Road in 2003”] took place, during which Museum staff collected material for the exhibition “Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“The Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”]. The Museum’s archive holds correspondence with former prisoners of the BelBaltLag and their relatives from the end of the 1980s. Some of the documents were donated to the Museum by the Hall of Battle and Labour Glory of the Segezha Wood Pulp and Paper Mill [TsBK] in 1985, including six photo albums – the “Kontrol’nye al’bomy fotoregistratsii Segezhstroia” [“Photographic Inspection Albums of the SegezhStroi”]. The systematic collection of material on the history of the Gulag began in 2006. The exhibits are catalogued and the new items are regularly added to the collection (mostly documents). Most new items come from the family archives of inhabitants of Segezha with whom the Museum collaborates.
 
Current state of collectionThe display is open to visitors, there is a temporary exhibition on the Gulag theme, called “Kol’tsa rosta” [“Growth Rings”]. It is planned to add a new section, Gorodskoi fotoal’bom” [“The Town’s Photo Album”].
 
PersonsIakovleva Raisa Ignat'evna, Staff member responsible for the topic
 
PersonsZmeeva Galina Petrovna, Director
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museums /Segezha Municipal Museum Centre