Museum exhibit /Lime-kiln inspection hatch
A lime-kiln inspection hatch. 1940s to 1950s. Camp Section Dzhintui, PechorLag (Komi ASSR). The Camp Section was in existence from 1939 to 1957. The main type of work done there was extraction of limestone for producing lime. Next to the quarry there were ovens in which firing (calcining) took place. The inspection hatch was found by N.A. Baranov on the territory of the former Camp Section in May, 2006, and it was given to the Inta Local History Museum (Komi Republic). (Photo: March, 2011). 
 
 
 
 
Registration number in museum acquisition book KP 4183/1
 
Creator of collectionN.A. Baranov
 
Date of acquisition12.11.2007
 
Years and places of existence in subject-related function1940s to 1950s, Camp Section Dzhintui, PechorLag (Komi ASSR).
 
Size56,5 х 26,6
 
Materials
 
Description of exhibitA factory-made, rectangular inspection-hatch from a lime-kiln. It has rounded corners. Two sides are semi-oval and have two transparent rectangular apertures. In the centre there is an aperture with a raised surround. On the left of this aperture is a circular cover rotating on a bolt and a pressure slat with a round handle. On the right of this is a rectangular hinged bracket and a conical pointed handle.It was used in the 1940s for the lime-kilns in the quarries belonging to the Dzhintui Camp section.
 
State of preservationBadly rusted and soiled.
 
Detailed annotationA lime-kiln inspection-hatch. 1940s and 1950s. Dzhintui Camp Section, PechorLag (Komi ASSR). The Dzhintui Camp Section, Pechorlag existed from 1939 until 1957 (according to other information, until 1954). The main type of work there was the extraction of limestone for producing lime, and the production of lime itself (by calcining in ovens), and also the construction of the Northern Railway. One of the two columns of the Camp Section (No.1) was a punishment column and it was here that the most dangerous recidivists were kept – those who on the whole were not taken out for work. After a change in the Camp Section leadership, prisoners from the column were taken out to work in manacles. Prisoners in Column No.2 worked in two shifts (a night-shift and a day-shift) in the quarry and in the lime-factory. The camp accommodation zone was in a low-lying area, next to the quarry. At the end of the 40s and the beginning of the 1950s there were 700-800 prisoners in this area. Nearby, there were four barracks for the guards. A settlement of the same name for civilian workers was 2 km from the station. It also housed the camp bakery, the grocery store and the solitary confinement cell. There was no sick-bay in the camp zone, and neither was there a cemetery. A civilian cemetery was on the banks of the Iz’iaiiu River (previously the Dzhintui). The Camp Section was closed in 1957 and the lime factory was closed in 1962. The hatch from the kiln was found by N.A. Baranov on the territory of the former Camp Section in May, 2006 and presented to the Inta Local History Museum (Komi Republic).
 
PersonsBaranov Nikolai A., creator of the collection
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Lime-kiln inspection hatch