Museum exhibit /Inscription on a cross-beam of the door of a punishment cell.
An inscription (records of the days passed in captivity) on the door of a punishment cell in the accommodation in the Community building of the Golgofo-Raspiatskii monastery on the Island of Anzer in the Solovetskii Archipelago (Archangelsk Province). Made on a cross-beam on the internal part of the door-frame. Dated the end of the 1920s – 1939. The inscription was found during an expedition of the St Petersburg “Memorial” in August 1994, and the fragment of the partition with its inscription was cut out by V.E. Dolinin. It is kept in the museum of the Research and Information Centre “Memorial” (St Petersburg). (Photo 19.12.2007). 
 
 
 
 
Authenticity
 
Registration number in museum acquisition book KP-112
 
Date of acquisitionAugust 1994
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Date and place of creation1920s-1930s Solovetskii Camp (Golgofa Mountain, Anzer Island, Solovetskii Archipelago)
 
SizeDimensions of the beam: Width – 4.5cm; length – 17.5cm and 14.5cm; thickness 5cm and 6.8cm.
 
MaterialsWood
 
Description of exhibitOff-cut from a wooden beam trapezoidal in shape, unevenly cut out of a whole piece. The beam is punched through with a bent nail (preserved). The inscription in pencil is partly preserved and is in the form of figures that have been crossed out: “17, 18, 19, 20 (illegible) days.”
 
State of preservationThe wood is cracked, the inscription is semi-obliterated and the nail is corroded.
 
Detailed annotationThe inscription on the cross-beam of a door in the accommodation of the community building of the Golgofo-Raspiatskii Monastery on the Island of Anzer in the Solovetskii Archipelago was probably written during the period when the punishment isolation-cells of the SLON (Solovetskie lageria osobogo naznacheniia – Solevetskii Special Purpose Camps) were situated there, i.e. late 1920s – 1939). Clearly the accommodation was used as a punishment cell. The inscription constitutes a record of the days passed in captivity. It was found by an expedition of the Research and Information Centre “Memorial” on 07-15.08.1994. The fragment with the inscription was cut out of the cross-beam on the internal section by V.E.Dolinin. The building was subsequently reconstructed and the traces of the camp and the prison have been lost. The building is probably used as accommodation for the monks of the Solovetskii Monastery.
 
PersonsDolinin Viacheslav Emmanuilovich, creator of collection
 
Thematic groupsKey words/
 
Thematic groupsKey words/
 
Thematic groupsKey words/
 
Thematic groupsKey words/
 
Thematic groupsKey words/
 
Thematic groupsKey words/
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Inscription on a cross-beam of the door of a punishment cell.