Museums /Museum of Exile and Resistance / Tremties ir rezistencijos muziejus
The museum was created by the Lithuanian Union of Political Prisoners and Exiles and opened in 1993. It occupies a building inside the Memorial Park "Ramibes". The exhibition is housed in two halls of 50m2 each. Part of the exhibition is dedicated to Lithuanians in camps and in exile (photographs of exiles, work tools, objects from camp and exile life and personal documents). The other part of the exhibition is dedicated to the resistance (the pre-war resistance of 1940-1941, including the June uprising in Kaunas in 1941, the anti-Nazi resistance, the partisan war of the mid to late 1940s). It also shows exhibits related to the movement for the defence of the rights of the Catholics in Lithuania in the 1970s (photographs, samizdat). The Museum collection, dedicated to exile and the camps, draws on the personal collections and archives of former political prisoners and exiles, and also on objects found in the course of expeditions to sites of labour camps and special settlements (Krasnoiarsk region, Iakutia), undertaken in the 1990s. The collection is grouped by theme and chronology: arrests and deportations before and after the war, Lithuanians in camps and in exile, biographical collections. Many of the exhibits from the collection dedicated to the armed resistance to the Communist regime were discovered in the 1990s during digs on the sites of partisan bunkers. These include: flags, coats of arms, leaflets, objects from everyday partisan life (for example, the fittings for shoes that prevented any track being left on the snow). In the museum are preserved a number of documents and artefacts from the archive of the central leadership of the LLKS (Lietuvos Laisvės Kovos Sajũdis: Union of Fighters for the Freedom of Lithuania), one of the leading anti-Nazi and anti-Soviet organisations of the Resistance. The exhibition is constantly being extended and renewed. The Museum continues to search of partisan bunkers and the burial places of dead fighters, conducts archaeological digs and erects memorial signs. The Museum works with local schools and leads excursions on the history of the Resistance and of the Soviet terror, which are included in school history courses. The Museum receives over 15,000 visitors every year. (Information correct in June 2010). 
 
 
 
 
NameMuseum of Exile and Resistance / Tremties ir rezistencijos muziejus
 
Location
 
AddressLT-44322 Lietuva, Kaunas, Vytauto pr. 46
 
Official contact detailsVytauto pr. 46, LT-44322 Kaunas Tel. (+370 37) 323179 E-mail: lpkts@erdves.lt http://www.lpkts.lt/muziejus.htm Director: Darius Juodis
 
Description of museumThe Museum of Exile and Resistance was created by the Lithuanian Union of Political Prisoners and Exiles and opened on 4 June 1993. The Museum building is located inside the Park "Ramibes", the former site of the city cemetery between 1847 and 1959. In 1995, memorial signs were erected on the sites of the graves of participants in the uprising against the Soviet powers in Kaunas in late June 1941. The pavillion that now houses the Museum served as the cemetery office until 1959. The Museum collection consists of seven different groups, including around 6,500 physical objects (around 800 are on show in the exhibition), around 10,000 documents, around 12,000 negatives in the photo collection, and around 100 video files. The exhibition is housed in two halls of 50m2 each. Part of the exhibition is dedicated to Lithuanians in camps and in exile (photographs of exiles, work tools, objects from camp and exile life and personal documents). The other part of the exhibition is dedicated to the resistance (the pre-war resistance of 1940-1941, including the June uprising in Kaunas in 1941, the anti-Nazi resistance, the partisan war of the mid to late 1940s). It also shows exhibits related to the movement for the defence of the rights of the Catholics in Lithuania in the 1970s (photographs, samizdat). New exhibits are constantly added to the exhibition, and it is totally reorganised every 2-3 years. The Museum collection, dedicated to exile and the camps, draws on the personal collections and archives of former political prisoners and exiles, and also on objects found in the course of expeditions to sites of labour camps and special settlements (Krasnoiarsk region, Iakutia), undertaken in the 1990s. The majority of the objects exhibited were brought in by those who had returned from exile and the camps: objects from every day life, work tools, clothing, religious objects, and also handicrafts and souvenirs made as presents for relatives or friends in the camp (embroidery, cards, handicrafts made with local natural resources such as cedar cones and tree cuttings). The handicrafts and especially the embroideries often contain national motifs: the colours of the Lithuanian flag, heraldic symbols (the “Gediminov-Pillars”). The collection is grouped by theme and chronology: arrests and deportations before and after the war, Lithuanians in camps and in exile, biographical collections. Many of the exhibits from the collection dedicated to the armed resistance to the Communist regime were discovered in the 1990s during digs on the sites of partisan bunkers. These include: flags, coats of arms, leaflets, objects from everyday partisan life (for example, the fittings for shoes that prevented any track being left on the snow). In the museum are preserved a number of documents and artefacts from the archive of the central leadership of the LLKS (Lietuvos Laisvės Kovos Sajũdis: Union of Fighters for the Freedom of Lithuania), one of the leading anti-Nazi and anti-Soviet organisations of the Resistance. This archive, packed into milk cans, was hidden in the Tituvenai bunker near Kaunas and discovered in the early 1990s. (The greater part of the archive was handed over for preservation to the Vilnius Centre for the Study of the History of the Resistance and the Lithuanian Genocide). Some of the relics from the partisan epoch were kept by families and were presented by the museum by the former partisans themselves, or their relatives. The exhibition is constantly being extended and renewed. The Museum continues to search of partisan bunkers and the burial places of dead fighters, conducts archaeological digs and erects memorial signs. The Museum works with local schools and leads excursions on the history of the Resistance and of the Soviet terror, which are included in school history courses. In addition, the Museum leads excursions to the restored partisan bunkers and other memorial sites, including the site of Romas Kalanta's self-immolation on May 14 1972. From 1995 to 2006 the Museum published the journal “Laisvės kovo archives” (“Archives of the Fight for Freedom”). In the present day, the journal continues to be published by the Lithuanian Union of Political Prisoners and Exiles. The Museum receives over 15,000 visitors every year.
 
Opening timesWednesday to Saturday, 10-16.00.
 
PersonsDarius Juodis, director
 
PersonsRimkus Iozas, first director
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museums /Museum of Exile and Resistance / Tremties ir rezistencijos muziejus