Museums /State Memorial Complex "Mednoe" (branch of the State Museum of Political History, St. Petersburg)
The State Memorial Complex "Mednoe" was founded in 1996 on an order of the Government of the Russian Federation. It opened on 2 September 2000 as a federal establishment. In 2003 it was reorganised into a branch of the State Museum of the Political History of Russia (GMPIR, St Petersburg). The Memorial Complex occupies around 17 ha and comprises the following objects: a memorial cemetery marking the burial site of 6311 Polish soldiers and officers; an Alley of Memory comprising four mass graves containing the remains of inhabitants of the Kalinin oblast’ who were executed during the 1930s, as well as the graves of unnamed Soviet soldiers who died in evacuation hospitals and medical battalions; the permanent open-air exhibition and installation “Vzgliad”[“View”]. In 2006 the “Mednoe” Memorial Complex opened a branch in the form of an Information and Museum Centre in Tver. Every year on 2 September a ceremony on the occasion of the International Remembrance Day for Soviet and Polish Citizens who fell victim to political repression is held at the Memorial Complex. (Information from March 2010). 
 
 
 
 
NameState Memorial Complex "Mednoe" (branch of the State Museum of Political History, St. Petersburg)
 
Location
 
Address170521, Tverskaia oblast', Kalininskii raion, s. Mednoe
 
Status of museumMuseums//
 
SpecialisationMuseums//
 
Official contact detailsDirector: Natalia Alekseevna Zharova; Deputy Director for research: Elena Nikolaevna Obraztsova Tel. (7-4822) 388384 e-mail: mkmedn@tvcom.ru http://www.polithistory.ru/content/view/34/51/
 
Description of museumThe Complex was founded by Order No.1247, “On the creation of memorial complexes at the burial sites of Soviet and Polish citizens who fell victim to totalitarian repression in Katyn (Smolensk oblast’) and Mednoe (Tver oblast’)” of the Government of the Russian Federation from 19 October 1996. This followed an agreement between Russia and Poland on the creation of memorial complexes on the Polish war cemeteries situated in these sites, within the boundaries defined by the Russian-Polish protocol of 26/03/1995. The Complex opened on 2 September 2000 as a federal cultural establishment under the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation. In 2003 it was reorganised into a branch of the State Museum of the Political History of Russia (GMPIR, St Petersburg) by the Minister of Culture’s order “On the reorganisation of the State Memorial Complex “Mednoe”” (No.1087, 06/08/.2003). The Memorial Complex remains unfinished after funding ran out in 2004. The Memorial Complex occupies around 17 ha.
On 7 June 1995 the foundation stone “Sootechestvennikam – zhertvam voin i repressii” [“To Our Fellow Countrymen, the Victims of Wars and Repressions”] was laid down, financed from the federal budget. The project was designed by Workshop No 4 of the Union of Russian Architects under the direction of M. Khazanov; the head architect was N. Shangin. An Alley of Memory was created, comprising four memorial mass graves containing the remains of inhabitants of the Kalinin oblast’ who were executed during the 1930s (the names of 3,670 people are known), as well as the graves of 296 unnamed Soviet soldiers who died in evacuation hospitals and medical battalions. The Polish war cemetery was officially set up on 11 July 1995; the building and assembly works lasted until 1999. The architectural composition, created by Z. Pidek and A. Solyga, comprises two obelisks, a cast-iron composition taking the form of an altar in an open chapel, a Wall of Tears, a cross, a bell that is underground. Moreover, 25 metal crosses, height 9m, were put up on the graves and an alley was created, along which memorial name plaques are arranged (6,311 people; the inscription reads: “Pamiati 6311 plennykh pol’skikh zakliuchennykh v Ostashkove, unichtozhennykh v 1940 godu v Mednom.” [“In Memory of the 6,311 Polish Prisoners-of War, Imprisoned in Ostashkov, Who Were Exterminated in Mednoe in 1940”]. The exhumation and identification of the remains, as well as the erection of the memorial were carried out under the patronage of the government of the Republic of Poland. The architectural designed was funded by the Polish Republic’s Council for the Preservation of the Memory of Struggle and Martyrdom. In 2003 the permanent open-air exhibition and installation “Vzgliad”[“View”] opened, comprising paintings, drawings and sculptures. In 2006 the “Mednoe” Memorial Complex opened a branch in the form of an Information and Museum Centre in Tver. Exhibitions there have included: “Dorugu zhenshchine” [“Make Way for the Women!”], edicated to the founders of the women’s movement in Russian (March-May 2006), “Avtorskii plakat perioda perestroika” [“Authorial Posters of the Perestroika Period”] from the GMPIR archive (August 2006) and “Pravda i pamiat’” [“Truth and Memory”], about the Poles executed in Katyn, Mednoe and Kharkov (September 2007-February 2008). Temporary exhibitions on the fate of arrested inhabitants of Tver’ oblast’ also take place in the service buildings of the Memorial Complex. These have included: “Postanovili: “Rasstreliat’” [“Order received: “To be Shot!”] (from the history of political repression of the 1930s-early 1950s in the Tver’ oblast’)” (2005); “Pamiat’ starogo doma” [“The Memories of an Old House”] (2006). The Memorial Complex’s collection was begun in 2000 when staff started researching in regional archives, towns and settlements, conducting expeditions and preparing the traveling exhibition “Sud’by repressirovannykh zhitelei Tverskoi oblasti” [“The Fate of Repressed Inhabitants of Tver Oblast’”]. The general collection contains more than 1000 items. At the moment it is being reorganised, as part of the integration process with the Museum of the Political History of Russia. The Memorial Complex’s staff conduct various thematic excursions: “Politicheskie repressii 1930-1940-kh na territorii Kalininskoi oblasti” [“Political Repression during the 1930s and 1940s in the Kalinin Oblast’”], “Pol’skie grazhdane – zhertvy totalitarnogo rezhima v SSSR. 1940 god” [“‘Polish Citizens as Victims of the Totalitarian Regime in the USSR. The Year 1940”] and “Massovye rasstrely nashikh zemliakov v period stalinskikh repressii” [“Mass Murder of our Countrymen during the Stalin Repressions”]. Several ceremonies take place every year at the Memorial Complex: an international one on 2 September (“Remembrance Day for Soviet and Polish Citizens who fell victim to political repression”), a Russian one on 30 October (Remembrance Day for Political Prisoners) and a Polish one on 1 November (Remembrance Day for the Deceased)
 
Opening timesFixed opening times
 
Beginning (year)2000
 
Current state of collectionThe exhibition is open to visitors.
 
PersonsKravtsova Evgeniia Igorevna, from 1999 Deputy Director, in 2003-2004 director of the Memorial Complex "Mednoe"
 
PersonsObraztsova Elena Nikolaevna, Deputy Director for research
 
PersonsZharova Natal'ia Alekseevna, Director
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museums /State Memorial Complex "Mednoe" (branch of the State Museum of Political History, St. Petersburg)