Museum exhibit /Domestic building of the governing body of the Segezhstroi.
A photograph of the domestic building of the governing body of the Segezhstroi, taken between 1936 and 1938 in the settlement of Segezha in the Medvezh’egorsk Region of the Karelia Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic. The photographs of the construction of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Plant and the town of Segezha were taken by a special section of the photography bureau of the NKVD BelBaltLag (the White Sea-Baltic Corrective Labour Camp). The results were used for inspection albums with a chronological photographic record of the construction of Segezha. The photograph was given to the “Segezha Municipal Museum Centre” in 1985. It came from the Room of Military and Labour Glory of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Plant as part of an inspection album covering the period 1936-1938. 
 
 
 
 
Authenticity
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Thematic indexThe Camps/
 
Thematic indexThe Camps/
 
Date and place of creation1936-1938, Segezha Settlement, Medvezh’egorsk Region, Autonomous Karelian Soviet Socialist Republic.
 
Size8 x 11 cm.
 
MaterialsPhotographic paper
 
Description of exhibitA monochrome picture of a single-storey log-built building with a high, pitched roof. It is photographed from one corner of the building. The greater part of the visible façade is occupied by an open veranda. There are two windows visible in one end of the house, where there is also a stepladder, leaning against the wall, and reaching up to the roof.
 
State of preservationUndamaged.
 
Detailed annotationPhotograph “Domestic Building of the Governing Body of the Segezhstroi” from the “Inspection Album of the photographic record of Segezhstroi No 1”, taken in 1936-1938 in Segezha (Medvezh’egorsk Region, Karelian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic). The photographs of the construction of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Plant and the town of Segezha were taken by a special section of the photography bureau of the NKVD BelBaltLag (the White Sea-Baltic Corrective Labour Camp). The photographer and the exact date when the photo was taken are not known. The album containing the photo is dated 1936-1938. The exact location of the building is not known (the domestic buildings of the governing body of the Segezhstroi were built in the northern part of the settlement and, in addition, some of the houses for the governing body and for the civilian engineering and technical employees were built close to the plant’s construction-site). A signature underneath the photograph reads “No.130/93 Dom Rukovodstva Segezhstroia [Domestic building of the Governing Body of Segezhstroi]”. (The number indicates the number of the negative. It is not known where the negative is kept.) The photograph was given to the Museum by The Room of Military and Labour Glory of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Plant in 1985, as part of an album.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Domestic building of the governing body of the Segezhstroi.