Museum exhibit /Wheel from a wheelbarrow used by the prisoner-construction workers of the White Sea - Baltic Canal Camp (BelBaltLag).
A wheel from a wheelbarrow with a single wheel which was used by prisoners during the construction of the White Sea-Baltic Canal (1931-1933). It was found in 2004 at the bottom of the canal, in the area of Locks Nos.10 and 11 during repair and restoration work. It is on permanent exhibition in the Segezha Municipal Museum Centre (Photo 10.08.2009) 
 
 
 
 
Authenticity
 
Types of exhibitsMuseum exhibits/Objects/
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Date and place of creation1930s, The Medvezh’egorsk Region of the Karelia Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic.
 
Years and places of existence in subject-related functionThe White Sea-Baltic Canal, Locks Nos. 10 and 11. (The Karelian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, later the Republic of Karelia)
 
SizeDiameter – 25cm; length of bushing – 25cm; width of rim – 4.5cm.
 
Materials
 
Description of exhibitA wheel with a flat rim and four spokes, circular in cross-section.
 
State of preservationThe wheel is corroded. Half of the rim is missing, and one of the spokes is broken.
 
Detailed annotationA wheel from a wheelbarrow with a single wheel, used by prisoners during the construction of the White Sea-Baltic Canal (1931-1933). It was raised from the bottom of the canal in the area of Locks Nos. 10 and 11 in 2004, during work on the temporary draining of part of the canal for repairs and reconstruction of its containing walls. It was given to the Segezha Town Museum by workers who took part in the repair of the canal (the names of the workers are not recorded). Since 2004, it has been in the permanent exhibition Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”] in the Segezha Municipal Museum Centre.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Wheel from a wheelbarrow used by the prisoner-construction workers of the White Sea - Baltic Canal Camp (BelBaltLag).